We all tend to go rushing out with enthusiasm and then leave that essential bit of kit behind so here is my basic list that might be useful
Check the weather – note that water temperature is also a factor if wading. You can always take something off, but cannot put it on if you have left it behind!
- Boots/thigh waders or chest or waist waders + boots if seperate – If Breathables add long-johns and/or heavy fleece trousers under.
- Weatherproof walking or wading jacket with integral hood.
- A suitably warm/waterproof hat.
- Fingerless bunting gloves or mittens – don’t take neoprene gloves they are useless.
- Sun or safety glasses
- A lifejacket + spare canister.
- salmon fishers – A good strong wading stick
- 2 x fly rods – what if you break the only one you have?
- 2 x reels – same reason. Plus spare spools
- Floating/sink tip/Intemediate/sinking/hi density lines. Spools to carry correct backing.
- Sinking polyleaders.
- Spools of nylon/Fluorocarbon/pre-formed leader
- Flies + hooks if separate
- A good set of pliers/scissor forceps/nippers
- Floatant/sinkant/linecleaner/rod tape
- Boat seat – trout fishers
Other useful items:
- A waterproof bag or holdall
- Bag for fish or stringer
- Waterproof mobile/camera pouch
- Hand towel
- A head torch
- A good knife
- Hook sharpener
- 2 pieces of foam backed carpet for getting rod apart
- Mobile phone
- Fly tying kit
- Thermos/packed lunch
- Cork screw or bottle opener
- Sun tan cream
- Mosquito repellant